on Attitudes Toward Examination
1. Nervousness while taking an exam or test hinders me from doing well.
2. I work most effectively under pressure, as when the task is very important.
3. In a course where I have been doing poorly, my fear of a bad grade cuts down my efficiency.
4. When I am poorly prepared for an exam or test, I get upset, and do less well than even my
restricted knowledge should allow.
This never happens to me
This hardly ever happens to me
This sometimes happens to me
This often happens to me
This practically always happens to me
5. The more important the examination, the less well I seem to do.
6. While I may (or may not) be nervous before taking an exam, once I start, I seem to forget to
I always forget.
I often feel some nervousness
I am always nervous during an exam
7. During exams or tests, I block on questions to which I know the answers, even though I might
remember them as soon as the exam is over.
This always happens to me.
This often happens to me.
This sometimes happens to me.
This hardly ever happens to me.
I never block on questions to which I know the answers.
8. Nervousness while taking a test helps me do better.
It never helps.
It usually doesn't help.
Now and then it helps.
It generally helps me a little.
It often helps.
9. When I start a test, nothing is able to distract me.
This is always true of me.
This is often true of me.
This is sometimes true of me.
This is hardly ever true of me.
This is never true of me.
10. In courses in which the total grade is based mainly on "one" exam, I seem to do better than
11. I find that my mind goes blank at the beginning of an exam, and it takes me a few minutes
before I can function.
I almost always blank out at first.
I usually blank out at first.
I sometimes blank out at first.
I hardly ever blank out first.
I never blank out first.
12. I look forward to exams.
13. I am so tired from worrying about an exam, that I find I almost don't care how well I do by the
time I start the test.
I never feel this way.
I hardly ever feel this way.
I sometimes feel this way.
I often feel this way.
I almost always feel this way.
14. Time pressure on an exam causes me to do worse than the rest of the group under similar
Time pressure always seems to make me do worse on an exam than others
Time pressure often seems to make me do worse on an exam than others.
Time pressure sometimes seems to make me do worse on an exam than others
Time pressure hardly ever seems to make me do worse on an exam than others.
Time pressure never seems to make me do worse on an exam than others.
15. Although "cramming" under pre examination tension is not effective for most people, I find that if the need arises,
I can learn material immediately before an exam, even under considerable pressure, and successfully retain it to use on the exam.
I am always able to use the "crammed" material successfully.
I am usually able to use the "crammed" material successfully.
I sometimes can use the "crammed" material successfully.
I hardly ever use the "crammed" material successfully
I am never able to use the "crammed" material successfully.
16. I enjoy taking a difficult exam more than an easy one.
17. I find myself reading exam questions without understanding them, and I must go back over them
so that they will make sense.
18. The more important the exam or test, the better I seem to do.
This is true of me.
This is true of me much of the time.
This is rarely true of me.
This is not true of me.
19. When I don't do well on difficult items at the beginning of an exam, it tends to upset me
so that I block on even easy questions later on.
This very rarely happens to me.
This frequently happens to me.
This almost always happens to me.
Range of scores 9-45 Range of scores 10-50